- Bachelor of Science (Advanced Science Programme with Honours), first class honours in geology, The University of Western Australia, Perth
Mr Marco Brenna
Igneous intrusions and volcanism in the Albany Mobile Belt: implications for the tectono-magmatic history of the south coast of Western Australia
Introduce new field observations, petrological, chemical and geochronological data on igneous activity in the southwest of Western Australia and propose mechanisms for emplacement of intrusions and volcanism.
Geological evolution and hazard modelling for long-lived monogenetic volcanic fields, a case study from Jeju Island, Korea
The magmatic and volcanic evolution of monogenetic volcanic fields, characterized by low volume and broadly distributed activity, is still poorly understood. This project aims to investigate the magmatic and geological evolution of Jeju Island, South Korea, which is the site of one such volcanic field coupled with a shield/stratovolcano. Research will be undertaken to determine spatial and temporal relationships between different eruptive centres and between single eruptive cones and the main volcanic edifice. Major, trace elements and isotope chemical analysis, as well as petrographic analysis will be used to gain insights into the deep mechanism causing the initiation of eruptions. Stratigraphic sequences and structural trends will be dated using radiogenic isotopes, and the information collected will be integrated into a model for the analysis of eruption recurrence. Jeju Island is a particularly suitable location to carry out this type of study due to the thorough knowledge of the subsurface geology gained thanks to extensive drilling.
My interests encompass all main areas of geological research, but in particular the link between chemistry, petrology and field relationships of igneous rocks, in order to understand the evolution of magmatic systems and the threat they pose to human activities and infrastructures.
- Brenna, M., Suzuki-Kamata, K., & Gee, M. 2007. Emplacement temperatures determined by progressive thermal demagnetization of six volcanic deposits from the 1990-1995 eruption of Unzen-Fugendake, southwestern Japan. Abstract 11-P-01 in: Abstracts Volume, Cities on Volcanoes 5, Shimabara, Japan. Volcanological Society of Japan.
- Brenna, M., Cronin, S.J., & Smith, I.E.M. 2009. Monogenetic, polymagmatic activity at Udo volcano, Jeju Island, South Korea. In: Abstracts Volume, 250th anniversary of Volcán Jorullo’s birth in Michoacán, México, Morelia, Mexico.
- Smith, I.E.M., McGee, L., Brenna, M., Cronin, S., & Lindsay, J. M. 2009. What do we mean by monogenetic volcanism: a geochemical perspective. In: Abstracts Volume, 250th anniversary of Volcán Jorullo’s birth in Michoacán, México, Morelia, Mexico.
- Cronin, S.J., Sohn, Y.K., Smith, I.E.M., Nèmeth, K., Park, K.H., Koh, G.W., Bebbington, M., & Brenna, M. 2009. Auckland and Jeju Volcanic Centre sister-volcano research project; Understanding hazard and risk at monogenetic volcanic systems. Abstract 3-1 in: Abstract Volume, 2009 Annual Conference of the Geological Society of Korea, Jeju, South Korea. Geological Society of Korea.
- Brenna, M., Cronin, S.J., Smith, I.E.M., Sohn, Y.K., & Nèmeth, K. 2009. Insights into the Jeju Island magmatic system from highly detailed examination of the Udo and Suwolbong eruptive centres. Abstract 3-3 in: Abstract Volume, 2009 Annual Conference of the Geological Society of Korea, Jeju, South Korea. Geological Society of Korea.
- Nèmeth, K., Cronin, S.J., Sohn, Y.K., Smith, I.E.M., Risso, C., & Brenna, M. 2009. Geoconservation and public education initiatives for monogenetic volcanic fields in Europe, Asia, South-America and the SW Pacific. Abstract 4-6 in: Abstract Volume, 2009 Annual Conference of the Geological Society of Korea, Jeju, South Korea. Geological Society of Korea.
- Sohn, Y.K., Cronin, S.J., Brenna, M., Smith, I.E.M., & Nèmeth, K. 2009. Sedimentary characteristics and geochemical evolution of phreatomagmatic volcanoes of Jeju Island, Korea. Field Excursions Guidebook, 2009 Annual Conference of the Geological Society of Korea, Jeju, South Korea. Geological Society of Korea.
- Brenna, M., Cronin, S.J., Smith, I.E.M., Sohn, Y.K., & Nèmeth, K. 2009. Evolution of a monogenetic basaltic magma batch: Comparison of Crater Hill, Auckland Volcanic Field and Udo Tuff Cone, Jeju Island, South Korea. Abstract in: Geological Society of New Zealand Misc. Publ. 128A, pp. 31.
- Brenna, M., Cronin, S.J., Smith, I.E.M., Sohn, Y.K., & Nèmeth, K. Polymagmatic activity at a monogenetic volcanic centre: Defining the evolution of a plumbing system. Eos, Vol. 90, Number 52, 29 December 2009, Fall Meeting Supplement, Abstract V21C-1999.
- Smith, I.E., McGee, L., & Brenna, M. Geochemical trends are a window on the processes that generate volcano fields. Eos, Vol. 90, Number 52, 29 December 2009, Fall Meeting Supplement, Abstract V21C-2000.
My research is supported through a Massey University Vice-Chancellor’s Doctoral Scholarship and through the FRST-funded project, ‘Facing the Challenges of Auckland’s Volcanism’.