- BSc. (Hons) First Class, Institute of Natural Resources, Massey University
Dr Michael Turner
- BSc. Earth Science, Institute of Natural Resources, Massey University
“Vulcanian explosions from Egmont Volcano (Taranaki) between 2200 and 1800 years B.P.”
To elucidate the eruptive and transport mechanisms of summit and flank eruptions of Egmont Volcano; inferring cyclic explosive activity of Egmont Volcano.
“Developing an integrated eruption record over the last 10 000 years at Mt Taranaki/Egmont, New Zealand.”
The overall aims of this project are to:
- Understand the construction of the present edifice of Mt Taranaki and to fill in the missing link between new ring-plain and edifice stratigraphies to derive a holistic Holocene eruption history. This information will be used toward understanding the general factors controlling andesitic edifice construction and extending our knowledge of the volcano’s hazard processes.
- Elucidate the nature and progression of eruptive events, including modelling the way in which the magmatic systems works. This model will be invaluable for applying real time petrological monitoring the next time the volcano erupts, allowing more accurate hazard predictions.
I am particularly interested in using petrolography and geochemistry to help model the ‘plumbing-system’ of any particular volcano. In the case of Mt Taranaki, I am working with fellow Massey and Auckland University researchers to produce a modal of Taranaki’s magmatic system. Both as it is at present state, and also to demonstrate how it has changed during the Holocene (last 10 000 year) period.
- Turner, M.B., 2003: Vulcanian explosions from Egmont volcano (Taranaki) between 2200 and 1800 years B.P. Abstract in: Geological Society of New Zealand Misc. Publ. 116A, pp.49.
- Cronin, S.J., Platz, T., Charley, D., Turner, M., 2003: The June 2003 eruption of Lopevi Volcano, Vanuatu. Abstract in: Geological Society of New Zealand Misc. Publ. 116A, pp 42.
- Turner, M., Cronin, S., Neall, V., Stewart, R., Smith, I., 2004: Looking below the iceberg’s tip – minor eruptions and hazard assessment on stratovolcanoes. Abstract in: IAVCEI General Assembly 2004, meeting programme.
- Cronin, S., Stewart, R., Smith, I., Turner, M., Platz, T., Proctor, J., Charley, D., Garae, E., 2004: Physical and petrological characteristics of a summit/flank multi-vent eruption: June 2003 Lopevi volcano, Vanuatu. Abstract in: IAVCEI General Assembly 2004, meeting programme.
- Turner, M., Cronin, S., Neall, V., Stewart, B., Smith, I., 2004: Fingerprinting Egmont Implications for constructing a magnitude/frequency eruptive spectrum. Abstract in: Geological Society of New Zealand Misc. Publ. 117A, pp. 110.
- Stewart, B., Smith, I., Turner, M., Cronin, S., Platz, T., Charley, D., Garae, E., 2004: Magmatic Processes in a young oceanic arc strato-volcano: Lopevi Island, Vanuatu. Abstract in: Geological Society of New Zealand Misc. Publ. 117A, pp. 103.
- Turner, M., Cronin, S., Bebbington, M., Stewart, B., Neall, V. Smith, I., 2006: working toward a high-precision record of Mt Taranaki eruptions and ashfalls, New Zealand. Abstract in: Fourth Conference, Cities on Volcanoes, IAVCEI, abstracts volume.
The current PhD research is mostly funded by a Massey University PhD Scholarship and is also partly funded by NZ FRS&T contract MAU0401. I thank also Puke Ariki and the George Mason Trust for their contribution to past and present research in Taranaki.